Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Weed Patch Before, During, After




I snapped a photo of a weed patch (blackberry and buck brush)in the Across the Road pasture just before we turned the mob in. I took another pic while the mob was grazing and a final pick after I moved them to the next pasture. Notice how the mob opened up this patch to allow light to get to the ground and allow grasses to start to grow. The mob has done a fantastic job of clearing brush and eating weeds, something I could not get the cows to do while rotationally grazing them last year. They wouldn't touch any weeds, now they are devouring them. I have literally hundreds of pictures of eaten weeds including buck brush, musk thistle, blackberry, dew berry, hedge trees, oak sprouts, sumac, various woody sprouts, poison hemlock etc. I couldn't be happier with the way the mob is cleaning up the pastures.

No comments:

Post a Comment