Sunday, May 16, 2010

Plenty of moisture....and an interesting observation

Well we have had 7 inches of rain in the last 6 days but I'm not complaining. Here is the crazy observation: We've had a very nice spring, warm early, long stretches of cool weather and some moisture. I say "some" moisture because while we haven't been dry, it certainly hasn't been overly wet. But here's what's interesting, the ponds in the pastures are 2-3 feet below normal levels. I don't feel that they would be low if not for the tremendous amount of material that is laying on top of the ground, absorbing water that would normally be running off, filling up the ponds. I can't say for sure that that is the cause, but it makes sense to me. Needless to say, I'm sure the ponds are no longer low after the past 6 days of torrential rains.

1 comment:

  1. After years of "management grazing" and as our organic matter increased we found ponds weren't filling as before and we had to develop alternative water solutions for our pastures. I'm not positive this was the reason, but we noticed after down pours that would have filled the ponds in our first years on the farm didn't seem to reach the ponds as the years went by and our grass and soil improved.

    ReplyDelete