Friday, June 19, 2009

More Pictures










Here are a few more pictures: one of the biggest problems on this ranch is oak, ash and various tree sprouts. For 40 years they have been controlled by bush hogging. I've been pleasantly surprised by the results of Mob Grazing on these sprouts. As you can see by the pictures, there's nothing left but sticks. I'm sure this won't kill the sprouts, but at least they are being utilized. The mob isn't being pressured to eat these sprouts, I've watched when I turn into a new pasture and the stockers will be standing in knee deep clover and grass and still take a few bites of leaves from a sprout. It's a community effort...no one calf is eating all the leaves...every calf seems to take a few bites as it moves by. I'm moving into a pasture of almost solid oak sprouts this week and will be interested to see what happens. More pictures to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment