Sunday, June 28, 2009

Fish Kill


As I've stated previously, this isn't an advertisement for mob grazing...this is an education. There are negatives associated with this type of grazing system and I will point those out in addition to all the positives. We have had fish kills in 2 ponds so far...it has been record hot and the stockers are spending a lot of time in the water trying to cool off. I have provided the gruesome evidence of what happens when 800 head of stockers have full access to a pond for 5 days (5 pastures watered at this one pond) during record heat. I am attempting to fence the cattle out of the ponds but some ponds it's just nearly impossible. I think allowing the cattle a small area to drink from would satisfy their water requirements and keep them from fouling the water. I need to continue to experiment with what works best.

No comments:

Post a Comment